Criminal Law


Personal Injury

Auto Accidents

Civil Defense

Start your FREE Consultation online now by filling out our DUI Consultation Form.

The information displayed here is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling under any circumstances and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Please see the Legal Disclaimers for more details.


Click on a question to see its answer.  Show All Answers

  1. I got a first-time DUI, what can happen to me?

    We can defend our clients in Court and with the DMV hearing. Consequences of a DUI can be harsh:

    • Custody time in jail for first-time misdemeanor and up to 3 years in state prison for a felony DUI.
    • Formal or Informal Probation
    • Ignition Interlock Device on your vehicle
    • Fines from $1,200 - $2,500.
    • DUI alcohol programs
    • Vehicle impoundment or permanent vehicle forfeiture
    • Driver's license: suspension, restriction or revocation. Contact or call the DMV as soon as possible.
    • Auto insurance increase or cancelled.
    • Require an SR-22 with the DMV

  2. What happens at the DMV when I’ve been arrested for a DUI?

    The officer is required by law to immediately forward a copy of the completed notice of suspension or revocation form and any driver license taken into possession, with a sworn report to the DMV. The DMV automatically conducts an administrative review that includes an examination of the officer's report, the suspension or revocation order, and any test results. If the suspension or revocation is upheld during the administrative review, you may request a hearing to contest the suspension or revocation.
    You have the right to request a hearing from the DMV within 10 days of receipt of the suspension or revocation order. If the review shows there is no basis for the suspension or revocation, the action will be set aside. You will be notified by the DMV in writing only if the suspension or revocation is set aside following the administrative review.

  3. At the time of my arrest, the officer confiscated my driver license. How do I get it back?

    Your driver license will be returned to you at the end of the suspension or revocation, provided you pay a fee reissue to the DMV and you file proof of financial responsibility. If it is determined that there is not a basis for the suspension or revocation, your driver license will be issued or returned to you.

  4. The officer issued me an Order of Suspension and Temporary License. What am I supposed to do with this document?

    You may drive for 30 days from the date the order of suspension or revocation was issued, provided you have been issued a California driver license and your driver license is not expired, or your driving privilege is not suspended or revoked for some other reason.

  5. The Notice of Suspension that the officer gave me at the time of my arrest states I have ten days to request an administrative hearing. What is the purpose of this hearing and what can it do for me?

    A hearing is your opportunity to show that the suspension or revocation is not justified. You may request a stay of the suspension so your driving privilege will no be effected until after an administrative hearing has been conducted.

  6. How is the DMV suspension or revocation for the DUI arrest different from the suspension or revocation following my conviction in criminal court?

    The DMV suspension or revocation is an administrative action taken against your driving privilege only. The suspension or revocation following a conviction in court is a mandatory action for which jail, fine, or other criminal penalty can be imposed.

  7. For how long will my driving privilege be suspended if I took the chemical test?

    If you are 21 years of age or older, took a blood or breath test, or (if applicable) a urine test, and the results showed 0.08% BAC or more:

    • A first offense will result in a 4-month suspension.
    • A second or subsequent offense within 10 years will result in a 1-year suspension.

    If you are under 21 year of age, took a preliminary alcohol screening (PAS) test or other chemical test and results showed 0.01% BAC or more, your driving privilege will be suspended for 1 year.

  8. The officer stated I refused to take a chemical test. What does this mean?

    You are required by law to submit to a chemical test to determine the alcohol and/or drug content of your blood. You did not submit to or complete a blood or breath test after being requested to do so by a peace officer. As of January 1999, a urine test is no longer available unless:

    • The officer suspects you were driving under the influence of drugs or a combination of drugs and alcohol, or
    • Both the blood or breath tests are not available, or
    • You are a hemophiliac, or
    • You are taking anticoagulant medication in conjunction with a heart condition.

  9. How long will my driving privilege be suspended for not taking the chemical test?

    If you were 21 years of older at the time of arrest and you refused or failed to complete a blood or breath test, or (if applicable) a urine test:

    • A first offense will result in a 1-year suspension.
    • A second offense within 10 years will result in a 2-year revocation.
    • A third or subsequent offense within 10 years will result in a 3-year revocation.

    If you were under 21 years of age at the time of being detained or arrested and you refused or failed to complete a PAS test or other chemical test:

    • A first offense will result in a 1-year suspension.
    • A second offense within 10 years will result in a 2-year revocation.
    • A third or subsequent offense within 10 years will result in a 3-year revocation.

  10. What is Vehicle Forfeiture?

    Your automobile may be forfeited by the government if you are charged with transportation of illegal drugs or if you are arrested for DUI and your license has been revoked for a prior conviction of DUI. The government will send a notice of their intent to seize your property within thirty days of the incident and file it with a court. An answer to the notice must be timely within the time specified. Otherwise, your property will be forfeited by default. The automobile or related property in your possession at the time of the crime can be forfeited even if there is a third-party lien holder or a joint owner. Perez & Perez has experience handling these civil forfeitures and will review your case.

  11. What are DUI Child Abuse Charges?

    You may be charged with Child Abuse if you arrested for DUI while you have a minor child in your vehicle. The law provides that if you knowingly or even negligently place a child in your car and causes danger to the child's life you can be charged with Child Abuse. The crime is a felony, punishable up to three years of imprisonment and a fine.

  12. I had two alcohol offenses when I was younger. What will happen to my license if I have a third conviction?

    It depends what your alcohol offenses were and how they were disposed. The courts cannot use juvenile convictions against you as an adult. However, the DMV can and will use certain juvenile information against you as an adult.

  13. What if I burped within 15 minutes of blowing my breath test?

    Law enforcement officers will ask the driver before the breath test whether they had burped, belched or vomited prior to the test or have been under law enforcement's constant observation for 15 minutes prior to the test. It is important you inform your attorney to this fact to help with your defense.

  14. Will I be able to get my case dismissed because I was not read my rights?

    No, not likely. But if you were interrogated after being placed in custody, those statements cannot be used against you.

  15. Which courts does Perez & Perez work at?

    Please use our Court Finder to see the courts we attend.



1440 N. Harbor Blvd., Ste. 900, Fullerton, CA 92835, Phone: (714) 961-1966, Fax: (714) 961-1972

Find us on social media:

Copyright © 2001-2020, Perez & Perez. All rights reserved.  Legal | Privacy | Site Map | Español

Articles - News - SiteMap